Carolyn McGregor BSc (Ost.)., BA Div (Hons)., Licentiate of Homeopathy., MARH.,
Registered Osteopath Registered Homoeopath
Osteopath Homoeopath Healer, Healing the Whole Person in Spirit and by Touch
Carolyn graduated from The British School Of Osteopathy, London in 1993, and is in full-time Osteopathic practice with a specialist interest in:
- Sports Injury and Dance Medicine; Osteopathic care of the Injured Athlete including gait analysis and biomechanical assessment within Osteopathic examination;
- Osteopathic treatment in post trauma states including head injury and post neurosurgical care; Osteopathy and Cranial Osteopathy for Pregnancy, Birth and post-partum;
- Cranial Osteopathy for the New-Born, Babies and Children; Cranial Osteopathy for children with development and learning delay.
Since graduation, Carolyn has been teaching Osteopathy at under-graduate and post-graduate levels; and has continued with her own post-graduate Osteopathic education.
Graduated with a Divinity degree in 2004 from the Maryvale Institute, Birmingham and as a Homoeopath in 2006 from the South Downs School of Homeopathy, Chichester.
Carolyn McGregor is qualified in the provision of Equine and Animal Osteopathy with Healing and Communication, having completed a post-graduate programme in Equine and Animal Osteopathy.
Graduated from The British School of Osteopathy, London in 1993 and is registered with the General Osteopathic Council and the Institute of Osteopathy and is in full-time Osteopathic practice with a specialist interest in:
•Family practice – all round general Osteopathic practice
•Pregnancy; Labour and Post-Partum – including attendance during delivery
•Children – new born and the older child
•Sports Medicine – experience treating athletes and professional dancers;
•Post neuro-surgery conditions and post- trauma states including head injury.
Osteopathy is founded on the intimate study of applied anatomy and physiology to observe the dynamic healing of the whole person. Through a sense of touch, ‘knowing the normal’ of healthy tissue function enables an Osteopath to restore health to disturbed tissues whether from illness or trauma. the founding precept of Osteopathy is the knowledge of the inherent wisdom of the body to govern health.
About Carolyn McGregor:
‘I love my fellow man because I see God in his face and in his form’ – Dr AndrewTaylor Still, founder of Osteopathy
I practice Osteopathy in general family practice as taught by Andrew Taylor Still. I have trained extensively and worked for 27 years in Cranial Osteopathy as taught by Dr William Garner Sutherland, specialising in Obstetric and Paediatric Osteopathy; and with a particular interest in post neurosurgical care.
I have taught Osteopathy at under-graduate and post-graduate levels.
I wish to offer Osteopathy in all areas of health, and with particular focus to:
•Gait analysis, biomechanical assessment and Osteopathic management of the injured athlete;
•Osteopathic care in post trauma states including head trauma and neurosurgical care; •Osteopathy in Pregnancy, Labour and Post-Partum: Obstetric and Paediatric Osteopathy; •Cranial Osteopathy for children with development and learning delay.
I strive for effective means of cure with honesty, integrity, simplicity and truthfulness.
I only take on those patients that I know I can fully treat and operate a system of co-referral with many other health practitioners. My practice has always been based upon the necessity of sharing ideas and information. I search for the best information and refer on where necessary, to optimise the health of my patients. I don’t have an ego about this. Its what works for me and my patients. I learn from my patients. They have always been my best teachers.
What is Osteopathy?
Osteopathy was developed by American frontier physician, Dr Andrew Taylor Still. He discovered Osteopathy in 1870 and it was formally taught from 1892 onwards. Osteopathy was founded upon the wise application of the hands, with a deep knowledge of anatomy, dissection, physiology and the inherent wisdom of the body to heal itself. The founding principles of Osteopathy recognise the importance of the healthy functioning of all organ systems and the relationship of each system to the whole.
Dr Still, the founder of Osteopathy wrote: ‘Osteopathy to me is a very sacred science. It is sacred because it is a healing power through all of nature’. Linguistically, Osteopathy is derived from the Greek, ‘osteon’, none and ‘pathos’, suffering. Dr Still used the term Osteopathy denoting that his system of medicine began with a knowledge of the bones to encompass all aspects of applied anatomy and physiology. ‘To know all of a bone in its entirety would close both ends of an eternity’.
Dr Still reasoned that ‘a natural flow of blood is health; the nerves causes muscles to contract and compress venous flow of blood to the heart; and the bones could be used as levers to relieve pressure on nerves, veins and arteries’.
Cranial Osteopathy: The teachings of Dr Andrew Taylor Still inspired his student, Dr William Garner Sutherland to a lifelong study of Osteopathy.
Aged 24 years, Sutherland discovered the inherent motion of the temporal bones, likening it to the gills of a fish, designed for exchange within the primary respiratory system. ‘Bevelled like the gills of a fish, and indicating an articular mobile mechanism for respiration’ wrote Dr Sutherland.
During the next thirty years, Dr Sutherland worked out his system of cranial Osteopathy.
Through experimentation and careful analysis, Sutherland observed the inherent motion of the cranial bones, the gliding motion of the fascial membranes and the motility of the nervous system; the actions of the durae and intra-cranial membranes which he termed the ‘reciprocal tension membranes’ and the relationship of these five phenomena to the body. Fundamental principles:
•Fluctuation of the cerebro-spinal fluid or the ‘potency of the Tide’
•The function of the reciprocal tension membrane
•The motility of the neural tube
•The articular mobility of the cranial bones
•The involuntary mobility of the sacrum between the ilia.
The Primary Respiratory mechanism maintains an inherent, rhythmic, automatic, involuntary ‘life and motion’ cycle of mobility and motility 10-12 cycles per minute.
Every cell and all fluids express this rhythmic, involuntary ‘life and motion’ throughout life. This mobility and motility are important factors in maintaining health and is vital in regulating homeostasis of all body physiology, from cell nourishment and motility to the overall regulation of our nervous system, hormonal system and all other vital organs.
In 1947, Sutherland stated: ‘Allow physiological function within to manifest its own unerring potency rather than apply blind force from without’. ‘Make yourself a child of inquiry and a student of nature’
Dr A.T Still Osteopathy today honours the founders of Osteopathy and explores new paradigms of healing and science. One of the emerging sciences which support Osteopathic understanding is embryology.
‘The forces at work here are precise in time and spatial orientation and meet those intersections with complete precision. By eight weeks of embryonic life: the birth of the foetus. The basic form is done. Forces inside fluids make decisions’ states Dr James Jealous in the Handbook of Osteopathy.
‘The forces of embryogenesis becomes the forces of healing in the adult’.
‘ As Osteopaths, we are searching for Health, we are attempting to follow its direction, moment to moment, as it consciously creates living motion towards perfection’ (Dr James Jealous DO., Biodynamic Osteopathy: http://www.jamesjealous.com)
To book an appointment with Carolyn McGregor please contact Mobile: 07766330489 or visit the contact page of this website: Contact Page
Registered with the General Osteopathic Council, Osteopathy House, 176 Tower Bridge Road, London, SE1 3YY. Tel: 0207 357 6655
Registered with the Alliance of Registered Homeopaths, Millbrook, Millbrook Hill, Nutley, East Sussex, TN22 3PJ.
Equine and Animal Osteopathy:
Qualified in Equine and Animal Osteopathy, Carolyn McGregor provides consultation, assessment and Osteopathic treatment with advice for owners, with veterinarian referral. Osteopathy and Cranial Osteopathy with Animal Healing and Communication can be requested. Please visit the website: www.equilibre.co.uk or www.petersfieldosteopathy.com for more information and booking appointments.
Equine and Animal Osteopathy Benefits of treatment may include:
- improvement in over-all health and well-being including emotional well-being; •
- Improved performance,
- •improved joint mobility;
- improved vascular and lymphatic drainage
- •optimised recovery following injury
- •decreased pain and muscle imbalances •diminished likelihood of further re-injury
- •improvement in over all health and well-being including emotional well-being; •Improved performance,
- •improved joint mobility;
- Booking your Equine and Animal Osteopath – What to Expect?
- •Vet referral and consent form signed prior to first consultation The Consultation:
- •A full and comprehensive case history will be taken;
- •Observation at rest;
- •Observation during walk up and trot up; in a circle;
- •Observation when ridden;
- •Osteopathic assessment of the horse/dog etc.,
- •Osteopathic examination of the horse/dog etc.,
- •Osteopathic treatment with advice to owner re. further remedial work; onward referral;
- Advice about any course of further Osteopathic treatment;
- •Follow up – phone call or consultation with re-assessment and re-examination and further Osteopathic treatment where appropriate.
- When to consult your Equine and Animal Osteopath?
- •Symptoms which may indicate benefit from treatment
- •Diagnosis from a veterinarian Ethical considerations: Osteopathy should not be used as a substitute for veterinary care and attention. Please note that paragraph 19, Section 3 of the Veterinary Surgeons Act and the Animal Welfare Act and the RCVS Guide to Professional Conduct states that all animals must be seen by a veterinary surgeon and that the veterinary surgeon must be content for Osteopathy to be given. With any concerns you may have about an animal’s health or well-being, your first port of call must be a veterinarian. Only a vet may make a diagnosis or prescribe.
- Regarding Homoeopathy: Please note that an owner may provide Homoeopathy for the animal in their care. A veterinary surgeon may provide Homoeopathy. Under UK law it is illegal for a Registered Homoeopath who is not a veterinary surgeon to prescribe Homoeopathy for an animal. Carolyn McGregor adheres to the strict code of conduct and ethics of her Registering bodies, maintains current indemnity insurance for the treatment of Osteopathy, Homoeopathy and Equine and Animal Osteopathy.
- Carolyn McGregor Registered Osteopath Registered Homoeopath is qualified for the provision of Equine/animal Osteopathy having completed a one year post graduate training with Stuart McGregor at the Osteopathic Centre for Animals, Orchard House, Portway, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 9BY.
- Regarding Homoeopathy and Equine/Animals in the UK:Please note that an owner may provide Homoeopathy for the animal in their care.
- A veterinary surgeon may prescribe Homoeopathy. Under UK law it is illegal for a Registered Homoeopath who is not a veterinary surgeon to prescribe Homoeopathy for an animal.
Carolyn McGregor is registered with:
Registered with The General Osteopathic Council, Osteopathy House, 176 Tower Bridge Road, London, SE1 3YY. Telephone: 0207 357 6655. http://www.osteopathy.org.uk
Registered with The Alliance of Registered Homeopaths, Millbrook, Millbrook Hill, Nutley, East Sussex, TN22 3PJ. Telephone: 01825 714506. http://www.a-r-h.org
Carolyn McGregor maintains additional registration with:The Institute of Osteopathy, 3 Manor Road, Luton, Beds, LU1 3HN. Telephone: 01582 488455. http://www.iosteopathy.org
The Sutherland Cranial College of Osteopathy, Hawkwood College, Painswick Old Road, Stroud, Glos, GL6 7QW. Telephone: 01453 767607. http://www.scco.ac
The Sutherland Society, c/o Church Street Practice, 15A Church Street, Bradford on Avon, Wilts, BA15 1LN. http://www.cranial.co.uk
The International Physician Directory, Traditional Osteopathic Studies at http://www.jamesjealous.comFor more info: http://www.carolynmcgregorosteopath.com
To book an Appointment with Carolyn:
- Book online with cliniko
- Visit the Contact Page: Contact Page
- M: 07766330489 or Practice Phone: 01730 267224